Friday, October 11, 2019

"Vote Smart! VOTE S-MART!"

Hey, folks!

The ol' Eee Cee Dee is back...just in time for the next Federal Election on Monday, October the 21'st!

In this short-n'-sweet entry I'm gonna reveal why I'm voting with my head and not my heart...but you might not have to!

This post, in part, is inspired by all of those lovely folks on Bookface who are shitting on Justin Trudeau without acknowledging the existence of Andrew Scheer. This is likely because they don't want to publicly admit that they're gonna vote for a soulless, Ayn Randian, Objectivist, socially regressive, corporate thimbot who’s entire political career is more U.S. Republican and less PROGRESSIVE Conservative.

For me, every word and deed from Scheer and his ilk just drives home the fact that they're all just a bunch of Alliance and Reform scumbags with the serial numbers filed off.

As someone who's actually voted Progressive Conservative in the (distant) past, I can't vote for this current incarnation of the Conservative Party in good conscience because they go against my personal definition of what it means to be Canadian. And as much as Justin Trudeau has screwed up and disappointed me, my memory of Stephen Harper is still waaaaay too fresh to ever vote for another ethically bankrupt Conservative creep.

This post is also inspired, in part, by all of the sweet, naive, idealistic young people out there who are all like "Fuck the status quo! I'm voting for the Flying Yogic Party!"

Hey, don't laugh, kids! That last one used to exist. In fact, I actually voted for them one year on a lark.

Look, your optimism is all well and good. Trust me, I'd like nothing more than to vote for Elizabeth May's Greens. But, since Justin Trudeau fucked all of us by reneging on his election reform campaign promises in a blatant act of self-preservation, I still can't vote with my heart. But you might be able to.

So, how can I determine this, you ask? Well, just follow these two easy steps:

(1) Follow this link and plug in you postal code to determine your electoral district. For example, I just confirmed that I'm in the Halifax-West riding.

(2) Look up the your riding's Wikipedia page and scroll all the way down to the "Election Results" header. It's here that you'll see the voter history of your area.

To follow through on my example, my riding has voted Liberal in the past four elections. Great. Unfortunately, the runner up has been whatever white-bread Miracle Whip sandwich the Conservative Party has decided to proffer up on my doorstep.

Now, if things had continued to trend like it did back in 2008, when the Liberals were first and the NDP was second, I would merrily vote NDP or Green with a song in my heart. But because the Conservatives are the historic second place finishers in my 'hood, I'm gonna hafta vote Liberal in the next election.

I can hear people already kicking back against this, but, sorry...hate the game, not the player. Honestly, until we get rid of this antiquated "first past the post" bullshit and evolve to a more progressive and fair proportional representation process, there's absolutely nothing you can say or do to convince me to vote otherwise.

I also have a memory that goes back more than four months. I remember back in two-thousand-ought-ought when hordes of crusty, old Conservative a-holes came out in droves to vote for their single option while progressives pissed away their votes between the Liberals, NDP and Greens. The result? While the majority of folks voted for a change in government, our screwed-up political system handed Harper's Conservatives the full reigns of power with only 39% of public support.

Sorry, but if I have to limit my options in order to prevent a blatantly-reptilian, Parseltongued choad like Andrew Scheer from becoming our Prime Minister, I'll game this shit outta this crooked system until the flying yogic cows come home.

EPIC: This isn't just an issue here in Canada. Seriously, it's time to shift the status quo.


EPIC "SEPARATED FROM THE NEST AT BIRTH" MEME:


FAIL: Just because we've had something forever, it doesn't mean that it's good.

No comments: